Are you or your team feeling stressed, worn out or facing some challenges right now? Do you want to find ways to feel more relaxed or more positive? Maybe you are searching for purpose and meaning? There is much to learn to enhance your mental health and wellbeing.
With over 30 years of training and experience in the health area, and a passion for mental health and wellbeing, Dr Cate shares knowledge and useful tools through education, coaching and writing. A number of programs have been developed to educate both professionals and community members on ways to improve mental health and wellbeing. Dr Cate also works with individuals to help them be and feel their best. Her holistic or ‘body, mind and spirit’ approach is evident in all of her work.
These endeavours come together as DR CATE HOWELL MENTAL HEALTH EDUCATION AND WELLBEING (workshops, training & coaching).
An extension of this work is sharing life’s learnings and everyday wisdom, acquired through years of working with people and hearing their stories, and especially from life itself, with it’s ups and downs! Dr Cate shares everyday wisdom through talks, radio interviews and blogs (watch-out for podcasts coming soon!). And please join the community on Dr Cate’s public facebook page/group (Dr Cate Howell), where positive thoughts, ideas and support are shared.
- Dr Cate has taught and facilitated numerous educational sessions for students, graduates, organisations and the community. She aims to provide clear and accessible information and engaging interactive sessions.
- She currently has roles as a Medical Education Consultant with Australian Medical Placements Health Education and Training (AMPHEaT); as a Medical Educator with AOGP Serving Health Professionals; and as a Learning Facilitator with Torrens University.
- Dr Cate has given talks across Australia, in the United Kingdom, New Zealand, Singapore and Japan.
- She is an Accredited Mental Health First Aid Instructor, and brings passion and depth to this training.
- Dr Cate is currently branching out into writing online programs to assist the community. The first, on coping with COVID-19 in terms of managing the associated stress and anxiety, was launched during 2020.
- A new program on finding peace and calm in challenging times is also available.
- Watch out for new ones coming soon!
- Dr Cate is also able to deliver Mental Health First Aid Standard training in an online format.
Along the way Dr Cate trained as a life coach, and has worked with health professionals, organisations and members of the community in this capacity. The aims range from helping the person find their direction/purpose, achieve their particular goals, tap into their intuition or live their best life.
- Dr Cate has written six books now. All are available widely online and most are available from the website ‘shop’.
- The latest book on men’s mental health, ‘The Changing Man A mental health guide’, was published in November 2020.
- Previous books include a counselling text called ‘Listening, Learning, Caring and Counselling’, written as a guide for health professionals and counsellors on caring for their clients; and books covering topics such as Depression, Stress and Anxiety.
- A different book is ‘Intuition’, driven by Dr Cate’s curiosity and interest in the spiritual aspects of life. It has just been re-released.
- All Dr Cate’s books have all been published in Australia, New Zealand and internationally, and Dr Cate’s book on depression, ‘Keeping the blues away’, has been translated into Japanese.
- She has also written a number of e-books. Several are available on the website, and one has been published by Exisle. Called ‘Emotional Eating Learn to be free! A guide to living well and soothing yourself in ways other than food’, it is based on a number of years of experience with individuals undergoing bariatric surgery or dealing with eating issues. It answers common questions about emotional eating, and provides many practical tools to assist in overcoming it.
- Dr Cate began her career as an Occupational Therapist, then became a medical practitioner (GP), followed by training in various forms of psychotherapy. She also undertook a Phd on depression.
- She has completed a number of tertiary courses including a Bachelor in Applied Science (Occupational Therapy), a Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery, a Masters in Health Service Management and a Doctor of Philosophy (Medicine).
- Dr Cate also has a Diploma in Clinical Hypnosis, and has undertaken training in Couple Therapy, Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT), Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT), Interpersonal Therapy and Life Coaching.
- Dr Cate has undertaken training as a therapist, life coach and Mental Health First Aid Instructor.
Additional roles, and awards:
- Dr Cate has been involved in academic and research work during her career, and maintains her involvement in various projects. She has presented her work at a number of conferences within Australia and overseas, and has had her research findings published in academic journals.
- Dr Cate has received a number of awards including the Graham Wicks Prize during Hypnotherapy training, a Conspicuous Service Medal (RAAF 1992) and a year 2000 Churchill Fellowship.
- In 2012 she was awarded the Order of Australia Medal for services to medicine particularly mental health, and professional organisations.