Dr Cate is a General Practitioner, therapist, life/health coach, educator, speaker, blogger, author and radio host! (Cate has always enjoyed wearing a number of hats in life!). So you know more about her background and what she does:
- Dr Cate has over 30 years of training and experience in the health area, and is passionate about the well-being of her clients. She has a special interest in counselling and mental health.
- Dr Cate has been the on-air doctor on radio FIVEaa’s ‘Health Talk’ for many years, co-hosting with Andrew Reimer on Sunday evenings, and being a guest of Brad on some Sunday afternoons.
- Dr Cate is a keen educator, and has taught and facilitated numerous educational sessions for students, graduates, organisations and the public. She aims to provide clear and accessible information and engaging interactive sessions. Dr Cate has presented all over Australia, from major centres to rural communities.
- Dr Cate is a sought after presenter and speaker and has given talks across Australia, in the United Kingdom, New Zealand, Singapore and Japan.
- Dr Cate has studied life coaching, and can provide online or phone coaching sessions for individuals in relation to health, life, and career/business.
Dr Cate’s qualifications & approach:
- Dr Cate has completed a number of tertiary courses including a Bachelor in Applied Science (Occupational Therapy), a Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery, a Masters in Health Service Management and a Doctor of Philosophy (Medicine), in which she researched preventing the relapse of depression.
- Dr Cate also has a Diploma in Clinical Hypnosis, and has undertaken training in Couple Therapy, Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT), Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT) and Interpersonal Therapy. She works in an integrative way (combining a number of therapies), and also takes a holistic approach (attending to physical health, psycho-social wellbeing and spiritual issues, if relevant to the individual).
Dr Cate’s writing:
- Dr Cate has focused on a love of hers in recent years – writing. She has written a number of books, and is now a regular blogger. Dr Cate writes about relevant topics that she has passion for, gathering information and writing in an accessible way for professionals and the public alike. She has had five books published, the first on depression, the next on stress and anxiety with Dr Michele Murphy, and a third one on intuition.
- The most recent book is a friendly text called ‘Listening, Learning, Caring and Counselling’. It is a guide for health professionals and counsellors on caring for their clients. The books have all been published in Australia, New Zealand and internationally, and Dr Cate’s book on depression, ‘Keeping the blues away’, has been translated into Japanese.
- Dr Cate has also written a number of e-books, and one has recently been published by Exisle. Called ‘Emotional Eating Learn to be free! A guide to living well and soothing yourself in ways other than food’, it is based on a number of years of experience with individuals undergoing bariatric surgery or dealing with eating issues. It answers common questions about emotional eating, and provides many practical tools to assist in overcoming it.
Additional roles, and awards:
- Dr Cate is a Medical Education Consultant for several GP Training Programs, and a Visiting Lecturer at the University of Adelaide. Her research work has been highly regarded by academics, professionals and the general public.
- As a result of this, Dr Cate has presented her work at a number of conferences within Australia and overseas. Cate has also had her research findings published in a number of academic journals.
- Dr Cate has received a number of awards including the Graham Wicks Prize during Hypnotherapy training, a Conspicuous Service Medal (RAAF 1992), and in 2000 she received a Churchill Fellowship to study the assessment and management of anxiety and depression in primary care. In 2012 she was awarded the Order of Australia Medal for services to medicine particularly mental health, and professional organisations.